Stop by any one of our branch locations and pick up a FREE copy of SCORE’s Simple Steps for Starting Your Own Business. This 60 page booklet will help you develop a plan that will make your business a success.
If you’re serious about starting a business, take advantage of the expertise of SCORE’s professional business counselors. SCORE counselors provide guidance from the idea stage thru preparing a business plan, obtaining financing and the grand opening of your new business. Click here to set up an appointment and be on your way to starting your own successful business.
Several organizations provide useful templates to guide you through preparation of your business plan.
- Downloadable easy to use business plan booklet in a Q&A format from the Southeastern Economic Development Corportation (SEED)
- Start Up Business plans from SCORE -Business Plan for a Start Up
- Business Plans from the Small Business Administration
- Internet training course on how to start a business, how to write a business plan, etc.
- This site has particularly clear financial presentations with business plan examples
Laying Out Your Business Plan
Finance for Start Ups
- Beginners Guide to Financial Statements
- Financing Basics from the SBA
- Estimating Start Up Costs Spreadsheet
- The Essentials of Cash Flow
- How to Better Manage Your Cash Flow from Entrepreneur magazine
Cash Flow Template from SCORE
Obtaining a loan
- Bank Loan Request Example from SCORE
- Financing Your Business Using Friends and Family Article
- SBA Loan Program
Business Start Up Checklist
- A general checklist of 12 topics start ups need to address
- Before You Entrepreneur
The Boring Part of Entrepreneuring
Taxation for Business
Licensing and Registration
A sole proprietor needs to register your business name. You can obtain a business certificate for a nominal fee at your city/town clerk’s office. However, for many types of businesses you may need special licenses or permits to operate. Your city/town clerk should be able to provide information on licensing in your area. You should also get information from the state of Massachusetts on line.
Massachusetts Sales Tax Certificate
You can obtain a Massachusetts Sales Tax Resale Certificate on line. This allows you to purchase items for resale without paying sales tax.
Employer identification number(EIN number)
You will need an employer ID number if you have employees. Vendors frequently ask for your EIN number to identify your business. You can apply on line at no cost.
Your business may be exposed to a wide variety of losses. To protect your assets read this informative article.
- Insurance Coverage for Small Business
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
Assistance for NonProfit Organizations